Animal Technician III/Team Lead
South San Francisco
Mispro Biotech Services is seeking an Animal Technician III/Team Lead for its South San Francisco location. The candidate will be responsible for daily operational maintenance of the animal facilities and in providing appropriate daily husbandry to various laboratory animal species in accordance with all guidelines, regulations, and SOPs pertaining to Laboratory Animal Care.
Major Accountability & Essential Functions:
- Responsible for daily operational maintenance of the animal facilities and in providing appropriate daily husbandry to various laboratory animal species in accordance with all guidelines, regulations, and SOPs pertaining to Laboratory Animal Care.
- Primary duties are performance of daily animal and vivarium physical plant and animal husbandry & maintenance duties (i.e. cage changing, animal & supplies receipt, stocking, vivarium sanitation).
- Responsible for the maintenance of the animal facilities (sanitization of animal rooms, corridors, equipment) and providing appropriate daily husbandry to animals (predominantly rodents).
- Responsible for environmental monitoring & sentinel animal program oversight and ensuring optimal vivarium service support to the MISPRO Site Operations in vivo research (client) community.
- Responsible for coordination & documentation of preventative maintenance of the vivarium physical plant.
- Responsible for drafting & periodic review of Operational SOPs; global operations program development
- Responsible for consumable supplies inventory management, ordering/receipt of incoming animals & supplies, performing basic veterinary care/treatment functions, and maintenance of relevant facility records.
- Responsible for document management and compliance with all institutional (IACUC, QA), governmental (City of Cambridge, City of New York, PHS, USDA) and accrediting (AAALACi) protocols & policies.
- Responsible for management & reporting of site budgetary matters (supplies, daily census, charge-backs).
- In addition to primary husbandry duties described, responsibilities for this role will also involve supplemental duties to include:
- Programmatic oversight for specific responsibilities, business continuity & succession planning as the back-up day-to-day site lead for the Site Supervisor, associate team lead positions, ordering/receipt of supplies, special projects, and coordination of vivarium/research support activities under the guidance of the Site Supervisor.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and move heavy objects and be able to work from a standing position for prolonged time periods and perform repetitive motion tasks.
- Must be available to support weekend, holiday, emergency, and after-hour operational responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned and required.
Qualifying Candidate Profile
- A part-time supervisory and/or entry level management training position responsible for the management of the local vivarium physical plant, supervisory oversight to Cage Wash and Animal Care Technicians as well as operational support to the Mispro client research community in our AAALAC-accredited, global in vivo research support program in support of the local Site Supervisor.
- Strong interpersonal (transparency, professionalism, integrity, trust) and communication skills (written, verbal, presentation), a strong commitment to providing quality research service support, and dedicated to providing humane animal care in accordance with all guidelines and regulations pertaining to Laboratory Animal Care.
- Must be reliable, able to work well independently, as well as participate in and lead personnel in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment, while also demonstrating a focus on individual accountability and attention to detail in providing quality and consistent results in the execution of all supervisory and managerial duties.
- HS Diploma or equivalent is required.
- 2 or 4 year degree in basic science, animal science or veterinary science is highly desirable.
- 8-12 years (inclusive of 2-5 years of prior staff/team lead or specific program oversight is highly desirable.
- AALAS-LATg and/or ILAM (or international equivalent) certification is required
- Generous employer-paid portion for medial & dental for employee and dependent coverage
- Employer matching 401K plan
- Generous time off: vacation, holidays, personal days, and floating holidays
- Sick time
- Other benefits offered include vision, group and voluntary life/AD&D, Accident, Critical Illness, and Hospital indemnity plans; MetLife Law, and Identify Theft Protection; Commuter benefits through Wage Works; FSA – Medical and Dependent care coverage
- Tuition and reimbursement
- Annual Short term incentive/bonus program