Animal Care Technician (ACT) I
New York City & Cambridge, MA
Responsible for daily operational maintenance of the animal facilities and in providing appropriate daily husbandry to various laboratory animal species in accordance with all training, guidelines, regulations, and SOPs pertaining to Laboratory Animal Care.
- Performance of daily vivarium physical plant and animal husbandry & maintenance duties (i.e. cage changing, +/-cage washing, animal & supplies receipt, inventory control & stocking, vivarium sanitation).
- responsible for the daily maintenance of the animal facilities (sanitization of animal rooms, corridors, equipment) and providing appropriate daily husbandry to animals (predominantly rodents).
- ordering/receipt of incoming animals & supplies, maintain appropriate quality control documentation for relevant husbandry tasks & facility equipment.
- Perform and/or provide collaborative support for cage wash operations (clean & sanitize cages & related equipment) as directed in support of Cage Wash Technicians.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs and move heavy objects and be able to work from a standing position for prolonged time periods and perform repetitive motion tasks.
- Must be available to support weekend, holiday, emergency, and after-hour operational responsibilities.
Other duties as assigned and required.
Other duties as required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job Requirements & Qualifications
- The qualified candidate will have strong interpersonal (transparency, professionalism, integrity, trust) and communication skills (written, verbal), a strong commitment to providing quality research service support, and dedicated to providing humane animal care in accordance with all guidelines and regulations pertaining to Laboratory Animal Care. Must be reliable, able to work well independently, and willing to participate in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment, while demonstrating a focus on individual accountability for attention to detail in delivering quality and consistent results in the execution of all daily husbandry duties.
Entry Level (0-5 years)
High School diploma or equivalent is required
Training & Certification:
None required. AALAS-ALAT (or international equivalent) certification is highly desirable.
- Generous employer-paid portion for medial & dental for employee and dependent coverage
Employer matching 401K plan
- Generous time off: vacation, holidays, personal days, and floating holidays
- Sick time
- Other benefits offered include vision, group and voluntary life/AD&D, Accident, Critical Illness, and Hospital indemnity plans; MetLife Law, and Identify Theft Protection; Commuter benefits through Wage Works; FSA – Medical and Dependent care coverage
- Tuition and education reimbursement
- Annual incentive/bonus program